The Property Manager 440+ is responsible for the managing operations and maximizing financial value of an assigned large sized apartment community (generally 440 or more units). This position oversees personnel, marketing, leasing, collections, resident relations, resident retention, customer service, community maintenance, contracted services, capital improvements, administration, reporting, community safety, and legal compliance. This includes achieving the financial and operational goals of MAA and of the region. The Property Manager leads on-site staff to ensure a sufficient flow of revenue by leasing a high percentage of apartment units at the optimum rates while maintaining each apartment unit and the property grounds at a functional and high aesthetic level and controlling expenses.
• Property Manager reports to RVP or Senior Property Manager
• Property Manager supervises all associates assigned to the Property
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervises all on-site staff, including hiring, training, supervision, and corrective measures. Determines productivity standards of each staff member and communicates these standards with the goal of maximizing property performance and individual success; evaluates performance of these standards for individual staff members and makes resulting compensation decisions.
• Provides professional and positive leadership to team members.
• Resolves resident issues or delegates them to staff members to resolve.
• Performs the tasks of subordinate associates as needed, including leasing units and making units ready for leasing. • Meets with RVP’s and Regional Maintenance, Landscape, and Sales and Marketing Directors for advice, assistance, and direction in community improvements.
• Meets with staff individually and in group meetings to communicate information and company news, to ensure that directives and goals are mutually understood, and to receive feedback and discussion; tracks individual performance by monitoring common standards.
• Receives training as needed for job-related topics. • Assures that associates follow MAA policies and safety rules; complies with MAA policies for reporting incidents.
• Plans, executes, and attends social and other community events for residents.
• Supports Open Arms and other initiatives that demonstrate and enhance Mid-America’s corporate culture.
• Establishes and monitors the property budget on a daily basis in accordance with established goals; keeps expenses in line with the budget.
• Works to achieve maximum performance based upon annual goals to increase revenue and other income.
• Ensures that all applicable deposits, rents, and other fees and ancillary revenues are collected and deposited.
• Submits bills to be paid to the Accounts Payable Department.
• Prepares reports as required.
• Submits all other accounting activities to the Accounts Payable Department.
• Purchases necessary equipment and supplies for the community.
• Determines the optimum rent based on market conditions and the level of rent concessions, if any.
• Participates, approves, and manages marketing efforts to increase occupancy.
• Uses a lease expiration board to plan for lease renewal management and to reduce the effects of large seasonal expirations.
• Review marketing efforts to determine effectiveness. Maintains Community:
• Interacts closely with the service team to manage property maintenance programs including promptly and courteously responses to resident requests for maintenance, providing an adequate supply of market ready apartments to meet the leasing efforts, and ensuring property appearance meets or exceeds site standards.
• Inspects the community regularly to determine the quality of the physical property, and to assess and identify needs.
• Inspects maintenance repairs and available units for readiness.
• May inspect recently vacated units to assess needed repairs and replacement.
• Monitors, inspects, and assesses the community landscape and other physical entities to identify and control or eliminate potential safety hazard and concerns and to ensure quality aesthetics in exterior parts of the community.
Required Qualifications: For Internal Applicants:
• Bachelor’s degree and at least one year as a successful Property Manager.
For External Applicants:
• Bachelor’s Degree and at least two years of experience as a Property Manager OR four years as a Property Manager.
• Must have training or experience in basic computer use, including common applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel as well as experience with web-based software used in apartment management. Other related experience or equivalent education may be substituted. Valid driver’s license.
• MAA is especially interested in candidates with extensive experience as a manager of a large apartment property and/or have a Bachelor’s degree or other higher education. CAM certification.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written
• Advanced organizational skills
• Ability to direct others to achieve company goals
• Ability to sell products and services to potential customers
• Knowledge of apartment management laws and regulations, federal, state, and local
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize duties and responsibilities
• Knowledge of expense control and financial management
• Ability to visually inspect units, grounds, and other aspects of the community to determine that standards are met
• Typical professional work environment, mainly indoors.
• Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to attend meetings at various sites, strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 30 pounds; occasional need to travel in an automobile or airplane and travel with luggage.
• Must possess vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, read and review reports and a wide variety of correspondence, frequent need to see small detail.
• Must possess hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone, ability to listen to conference calls.
• Must have a valid driver’s license or means of immediate transportation to attend meetings, events, and daily activities.
• Must comply and follow all company policies and procedures, including Sarbanes-Oxley compliance. Must be able to think rationally beyond a specific set of instructions. Must be able to work at a fast pace, perform duties while under pressure and meet deadlines in a timely manner. Must be able to interact and communicate with senior management, on-site employees, tenants, visitors, and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Visit www.maac.com to apply online.
EOE M/F/V/D Drug Free Workplace